You take your child to the doctor, the dentist and maybe other health appointments too. After all, you want to make sure their development and health are on the right track! Did you know that your child should also check-in with an orthodontist too? Our team at Braces Plus is happy to help you understand the warning signs and reasons why your child should get an orthodontic check-up!
The CAO recommends that a child should have an orthodontic check-up by the age of 7. In addition to the suggested age, you may have noticed some warning signs that can indicate your child needs a check-up too.
Listed below are some indicators that parents should look for:
- Your child’s teeth are crowded or spaced too far apart.
- Your child snores at night or may have sleep apnea.
- Your child’s jaw is popping or making a clicking noise, when they open and close their mouth.
- Your child has trouble breathing through their nose or mouth-breathes quite often.
- Your child has difficulty biting or chewing their food.
- Your child has persistent bad breath.
- Your child’s gums bleed or they are inflammed.
- Your child’s teeth are coming in at an unusual angle.
If any of these signs are present, it’s a good idea to bring your child to an orthodontist for an evaluation. Early intervention can often prevent more serious problems from developing down the road and can also make treatment more effective overall. Sometimes a problem can be spotted as early as the age of 2 or 3 years old. In other cases, some children may not need treatment at all, or will need to check back in later on. It is best to have peace of mind and know your child is healthy and well!
Book a Consultation
Dr. Eimar can determine if your child is a good candidate for orthodontic treatment and provide a customized treatment plan, unique to their needs! Book a FREE consultation at our trusted orthodontic clinic located in Airdrie, Alberta. Our team looks forward to helping you!